A 2019 interdisciplinary research study looked at baking as a potential form of art therapy and measured its impacts on stress and anxiety in adults. Anxiety was measured via the State Trait Anxiety Inventory, and the study showed that self-reported anxiety levels substantially reduced after baking. Baking allows a person to connect with both creativity and focus. It can even be looked at as an excuse to just get moving and to engage the five senses. Baking something delicious can feel rewarding and grounding. The results are generally a house that smells wonderful and a happy stomach.
Shake off your winter blues and anxieties and see below for a recipe you can make by yourself or with your friend, parent, or partner.
Valentine’s Day Dessert Truffles
18 OREO cookies
4 oz cream cheese softened
3 oz fondant red, rolled
2 cups white candy melts
1 tsp coconut oil
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Crush OREO cookies with a food processor or by using a plastic sealable bag and a rolling pin.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and OREO crumbles. Blend well.
- Roll mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll fondant and cut our heart shapes. Set aside.
- Place candy melts and coconut oil in microwave-safe dish and heat on half power for 30-second intervals until smooth and creamy. Stir between each 30-second interval.
- Coat each truffle with candy coating and place on a lined baking mat.
- Add decorations and serve. Enjoy!
If you need more support and would like to speak to a professional counselor about topics, such as the one featured in this blog, and are in the Chicago area, please contact Olive Branch Counseling Associates, Inc. at 708-633-8000. We are located at 6819 West 167th Street in Tinley Park, Illinois 60477.
Written by Liz, Mental Health Counseling Master’s Level Intern
Roth, J. (2019). Impacts of baking as art therapy on stress and anxiety in adults. The Pratt
West, J. (2020, December 27). Valentine’s day dessert truffles. PinkWhen. https://www.pinkwhen.com/valentines-day-dessert-truffles/