You may have heard of seasonal depression in the context of the winter blues. However, according to the professional counseling department at South University, spring can lead to showers of depression. It is possible that the longer days send people’s bodies and emotions into turmoil. And let’s not forget about seasonal allergies! Spring-based depression can be particularly disruptive because while many people are enjoying the higher temperatures, those hurting in the spring are feeling flooded. A person might also feel increased pressure to socialize and bask in the warmer temperatures.
As related to seasonal depression, avocados contain healthy fat that your brain needs to run smoothly. Consider making the following spring dessert to quell your seasonal blues or simply to enjoy a treat.
Key Lime Pie Bars Recipe:
For the Crust:
1 1/2 cups super-fine blanched almond flour
3 Tbsp. unrefined coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. fine salt
For the Filling:
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup coconut cream
1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. fine salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8” ×8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt until well combined.
- Transfer this mixture to the parchment-lined baking pan. Top with another piece of parchment paper and use the bottom of a cup to flatten the mixture so it is in one even layer covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before adding the filling.
- Pour filling over the top the cooled pie crust and place the baking pan on a flat surface in your freezer.
- Allow to freeze for four hours before slicing.
- Add soaked cashews, coconut cream, avocado, maple syrup, lime zest, lime juice, arrowroot starch, vanilla and salt to a high-speed blender.
- Blend on the highest speed for one minute. Scrape down the sides if needed and re-blend to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- You can top them off with homemade coconut whipped cream for an airy, sweet, cool and creamy finish.
NOTES: Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in your refrigerator 24 hours in advance of making this recipe. When you open the can, the solid white coconut cream will naturally float to the top of the can (leaving the coconut water at the bottom of the can). Use a spoon to carefully separate the solid white coconut cream from the coconut water below it.
If you need support and would like to speak to a professional counselor about topics, such as the one featured in this blog, and are in the Chicago area, please contact Olive Branch Counseling Associates, Inc. at 708-633-8000. We are located at 6819 West 167th Street in Tinley Park, Illinois 60477.
Written by Liz, Mental Health Counseling Master’s Level Intern
South University. (2016). https://www.southuniversity.edu/news-and-blogs/2016/08/spring-can-bring-showers-of-depression-35284
California Avocado Commission. (2022). Vegan, Grain-Free Key Lime Pie Bars with California Avocados. https://californiaavocado.com/recipe/vegan-grain-free-key-lime-pie-bars-with-california-avocados/
Leave a Reply